Deadline for Submissions is June 1, 2013
February 6, 2013– Austin, TX. The Federation of Genealogical Societies (FGS) announces a Call for Presentations for the FGS 2014 Conference, “Gone to Texas,” to be held August 27-30, 2014, in San Antonio, Texas. The conference will be held in conjunction with the Texas State Genealogical Society and the San Antonio Genealogical and Historical Society as local hosts. The deadline for submission of lecture proposals is Saturday, 1 June 2013.
The conference begins with an all-day Focus on Societies program for genealogical society officers, board members, volunteers and other interested parties followed by a three-day genealogical conference in which a variety of topics will be presented.
The program committee seeks proposals for engaging, collaborative and dynamic presentations, workshops and sponsored talks. The categories of interest include, but are not limited to:
- Society Management
- Basic and introductory genealogical instruction
- Methodology and problem solving techniques
- Ethnic research (African American, Czech, German, Hispanic, Native American)
- Technology, software and social media
- Genetics, DNA and family medical history
- Transportation, migration and immigration
- “Gone to Texas” topics
- Southern and western regional topics
Presentations will be one-hour long, which includes a ten-minute question/answer period. Send proposals in Microsoft Word, RTF or similar format. File names should include your last name, first initial, and proposal topic. (Example: SmithR - TechStrategies). Please submit one file per proposed topic. Each proposal document should include:
- Speaker(s) name.
- Speaker(s) contact information, including mailing address, phone, email and website, if applicable.
- Prior speaking experience. Speakers who have not spoken at a national conference are encouraged to submit a video, audiotape, or CD recording of a recent presentation.
- Speaker(s) biography.
- Speaker(s) abbreviated brochure biography (350 characters, including spaces).
- Lecture title and description for brochure (230 characters combined, including spaces).
- Lecture outline/summary (1 page or less)
- Audio-visual requirements. FGS does NOT provide projectors, computers, or internet access for speakers.
- Intended audience level: beginner, intermediate, advanced or any level.
Invitations to speak will be extended between 2 September and 20 September 2013. All submitters will receive notification of their selection or non-selection by 27 September 2013. The deadline for acceptance and submission of signed speaker contracts is 1 November 2013. Syllabus format guidelines will be sent to all speakers upon receipt of their signed contract as every presentation will require materials to be included in the conference syllabus.
For additional guidelines regarding the selection process for FGS 2014, please refer to the supplemental document at http://www.fgs.org/cpage.php?pt=114.
Selected speakers receive an honorarium, travel compensation, and conference registration as well as per diem and hotel nights based on the number of lectures presented. (Sponsored speakers only receive conference registration and syllabus materials. See more about sponsorships below.) Non-sponsored speakers receive compensation according to the FGS Conference Speaker Policy at http://www.fgs.org/cpage.php?pt=44.
Societies and businesses are encouraged to submit proposals for sponsored talks. The sponsoring organization will cover its speaker's costs to present the lecture. Sponsored speakers will abide by all speaker deadlines and syllabus requirements. Sponsored speakers will receive complimentary FGS conference registration and electronic syllabus materials.
Camera-ready handouts will be required for every lecture or workshop presentation and will be compiled in a syllabus distributed to conference participants. The deadline for submissions of syllabus materials is 1 June 2014.
FGS 2014 Deadlines
- 7 Jan 2013: Call for Presentations
- 1 Jun 2013: Proposal deadline
- 27 Sep 2013: Last date for invitations or declines sent to submitters
- 1 Nov 2013: Signed speaker contracts due
- 1 Jun 2014: Syllabus materials due for all presentations