You still have time to get in on all the fun at the upcoming Federation of Genealogical Societies’ 2012 Conference - Indians, Squatters, Settlers and Soldiers in the "Old Southwest" – to be held in Birmingham, Alabama 29 August to 1 September, 2012.
Online registration at http://fgs.org/2012conference closes at 7:00pm Central time on Friday, August 17, 2012 so make sure you act fast!
What Was The “Old Southwest?”
The Old Southwest stretched west of the Appalachians and south of the Ohio. Home to many tribes of Indians, the Settlers came to these parts from the Old World and the “Original”13” who liked what they saw and stayed. Squatters were those who passed through on their way to places with “more elbow room,” or a new start, or pushing on toward the great West and the Soldiers who fought in the wars.
Come find your ancestors who traveled in “these parts”. Over 160 different educational sessions and exhibitors from all over the United States provide a great venue to learn and network with researchers just like you.
Findmypast Day - New Event Just Announced!
On Saturday, September 1st, Platinum sponsor will be hosting Findmypast Day at the Birmingham-Jefferson Convention Complex. This special event is for those wanting to learn a few family history basics and for anyone interested in discovering how to use findmypast.com as a resource to extend their family tree. Tickets are $20; register online at http://www.fgs.org/findmypastDay).
Special Events, Exhibit Hall and Door Prizes!
While you are registering, don’t forget that there are many different events during the FGS 2012 conference:
- AGS Opening Social – Wednesday, August 29th. Presented by the Alabama Genealogical Society, tap your foot to great music of Bobby Horton in the grandeur of the Alabama Theater, the Great Showplace of the South. Transportation provided by FamilySearch. Click here to learn more./li>
- FGS Evening Social – Thursday, August 30th. Join us for an evening of adventure at Birmingham's Sloss Furnaces National Historic Landmark. Enjoy some Southern BBQ and tour the historic sites on this 32-acre interpretive museum. Attendees will be able to witness a private iron pouring. Sponsored by FamilySearch and FGS. Click here to learn more.
- Extended Exhibit Hall Hours – Friday, August 31st. The place to meet with over 77 vendors and 140 booths, you’ll find a variety of genealogy-related products and services. Hours extended until 8:00pm on Friday evening. Starting at 6:00 pm, FGS President Pat Oxley will be in the Exhibit Hall with her parade of prizes, so there should lots of fun and excitement. Vendors will be giving out great prizes including an iPad from FamilySearch, a Flip-Pal mobile scanner from Flip-Pal, as well as a Rootstech registration. Remember, all participants must be present to win so be sure to be there. The food vendors will also be open that evening, selling lots of great tasting eats.
- A 1940 US Census Celebration! – Friday, August 31st. Come join us at the 1940 Census Project booth for fun, food and prizes as we celebrate all the great achievements of those who helped with the 1940 US Census Community Indexing Project. There will be fun activities, prizes and food! Individuals and societies will be recognized for their contributions to the 1940 US Census.
- Grand Prize Drawing – Friday, August 31st. During the extended Exhibit Hall hours on Friday evening, we’ll hold the grand prize drawing for a super prize! Platinum Sponsor FamilySearch is once again supplying a trip to Salt Lake City to research at the famed Family History Library. The prize includes airfare for two and one week's stay at the Plaza Hotel (right next door to the library) provided by Bronze Sponsor the Salt Lake Plaza Hotel.
If you’ve already registered for the FGS 2012 conference, then thank you and we can’t wait to see you in Birmingham! You can still purchase tickets for any of the events above including the luncheons. Here’s how:
Return to the registration page (https://www.fgs.org/acs/index.php), enter your email address, and then when it asks for your Password/PIN, enter the PIN you received in the confirmation email when you registered. Then keep clicking Next to follow the pages to add the events you want to attend. Review your order, check out and your tickets will be waiting for you when you register!
Learn More and Stay Connected
- Visit the Conference News Blog: http://www.fgsconferenceblog.org
- Follow the Conference on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/fgs2012 and on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/fgs2012
- Greater Birmingham Convention & Visitors Bureau at http://www.birminghamal.org