Each year at the Federation of Genealogical Societies Conference, awards are given to genealogical societies and members of societies for outstanding or notable service to the genealogical community. This year awards will be presented at the Keynote Session on Thursday morning. These and some other awards are also announced in the FGS FORUM.
You are encouraged to nominate individuals or societies to receive these awards of recognition. You know the societies and the people who make up those organizations. You know the activities/projects that an individual or society has successfully undertaken. These are the people, the societies, and the activities FGS is looking to offer gratitude to with these awards. Note: only FGS-member societies and individual members of FGS-member societies can be nominated for the FGS Awards.
- Certificate of Appreciation: Individual or organization in thanks for duty in exemplary or outstanding manner.
- Award of Merit: Individual or organization for meritorious service or distinguished work in genealogy and family history.
- President's Citation: Individual or organization to whose contributions or service to FGS or the genealogical community are singled out for recognition by the FGS President.
- Delegate Award: Individual Delegate of a member society in recognition of exemplary service to FGS as a member of an FGS standing committee or as an active participant in an FGS project.
- Distinguished Service Award: Individual or organizational recognition of outstanding service to FGS or to a member society. The organization must be a member of FGS, and the individual must be a member of an FGS member society.
- Director's Award: Individual or organizational recognition of both exceptional contributions to the field of genealogy and family history, and extra-mile efforts to promote good will and improve services.
- George E. Williams Award: Individual with outstanding contributions within a single year to FGS, a member organization, or both.
- David S. Vogels Award: Individual for recognition of outstanding career contributions to FGS.
- Rabbi Malcolm H. Stern Humanitarian Award: To a rare individual for lifetime contributions and whose positive personal influence and example have fostered unity in the genealogical community, provided leadership to its individual members, and helped make family history a vital force in the community at large.
- Archives Award: Individual or organizational recognition of exceptional contributions in the area of archival access, preservation, or services.
The deadline for submission of awards for 2011 is 1 June 2011.